Saturday, June 14, 2008

How to Take a Dog Sailing


You will need:
1) A Dog
2) A Sailboat
3) A Dog PFD

Helpful tips:
1) Get a PFD with a handle on the back, you can tie a line to this, just in case
2) Ice Packs: the refreezable kind can slide underneath the dog PFD and helps to keep them cool
3) Bring plenty of ice water and a dog bowl

Axl did much better than I thought he would. Other than being really hot, I think he had a really good time. He's not big on swimming... but he's good at it. The handle on the back of his PFD (Outward Hound is the brand) allowed us to dunk him in the water to cool down while under way. It is also good for tying a line to.

It was Courtney's first time on the boat since it was finished. We had a great time and got off the lake before a storm blew in. The wind was inconsistent and mostly still, but it wasn't nearly as hot as it has been. Lots of powerboaters and jetskis. I've decided that the only people that like jetskis are the folks riding them.

Anyway, I guess that's the way it's going to be now, sailing logs and pics only. A few more projects that I could post about (electrical, cabin aesthetics, etc.) but those are low on the totem pole since I can go sailing. One thing I will be doing shortly is replacing the halyards (wire and rope) with all rope (probably 1/4" Sta-Set X). I learned how to make an eye-splice and an end splice in preparation for this. My first one came out beautifully! There is a link on the right where you can find instructions. They are good, but I would definitely recommend reading them through once or twice before beginning. It is easy to get confused when you start threading the pieces into each other. Also, I was able to do a good job with 1/4" Sta-Set without a proper fid. I used a long steel finishing nail with the tip ground smooth.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Landdlocked Sailor blog here. Your note on my site as to the Hinckley, they want 385K, which is 300K more than we want to spend.

Curious,we sailed the Cheapeake most of the years, but with a heavier boat. Can the o'day withstand a 20 knot (no center board on this one)
Tom

Tom said...

Thanks for your 06/16 comment, the sole appears to have some delamination, but minor. Strength wise it has no flex, but I think before I cover, will inject West in areas.