Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Cassidy Sold!

Schoolwork has been taking up the bulk of my time and I've not been able to hoist Cassidy's sails in quite some time. Deciding to sell her was a difficult decision, but obviously the right one. Hopefully her new owners will be able to spend more quality time at the helm. Couldn't have gone to nicer folks and I know that they will treat her well and enjoy sailing Kerr Lake here in NC.

So, it look like a single-handed, single-handed-launch dinghy might be in my future. We'll see.

Found a cool blog post that combines my two loves: geography and sailing. Essentially they used opensource GIS and statistical tools (GRASS and R) to analyze GPS tracks obtained while sailing a Hobie 16. Very cool stuff, and something that I'm anxious to try. A GoogleEarth/Maps mashup would be the cat's meow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You mean like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruidh/2932306881/

I'm sorry you sold. But I'm glad you were *able* to sell instead of just giving it away.

grizzles said...

@ruidh That's great! I've seen stuff like that before. I'm curious about taking that to the next level and integrate the polar information that the folks in the posted link did. Cool stuff!

Selling the boat was a difficult decision but it all worked out very well, for all involved.

Jay said...

Bummer, I was hoping to see more pictures of you enjoying all your hard work.